Accessing Healthcare Advice

Advice from Joined up care Derbyshire on how to access different types of healthcare during this crisis

Key messages include:

-       If you need medical help, the NHS is still here for you.


-       If you need medical help from your GP practice, do not hesitate to contact them either online, by an app or by phone to be assessed. If you have a symptom that you are worried about, e.g. signs and symptoms associated with cancer, you must contact your GP immediately. You can find out more information here. Go to the section on Primary Care.


-       If you need urgent medical help, use the NHS 111 online service here. If you cannot get help online, call 111. E.g. if you are really worried about the health of your baby or child.


-       If it’s a serious or life-threatening emergency, call 999, e.g. if your child is seriously injured, if you think you or a family member are suffering with the symptoms of a heart attack, symptoms include heavy or tight chest pain that may spread to your arms, neck or jaw, or make you breathless, sick, sweaty or light-headed and that doesn’t go away. Or symptoms of a stroke as below:

o   Face - is the face drooping / fallen on one side? Can they smile?

o   Arms - can they raise both arms and keep them there?

o   Speech - is it slurred?


-       If you are told to go to hospital it is important that you go to hospital. NHS organisations having been working tirelessly to ensure that essential services are as safe as possible for people needing treatment for non Covid-19 related conditions. You can find out more information about how hospitals have responded to Covid-19 here in the Hospital Section.


-       You should continue to attend your appointments, unless you have been told not to attend. You can find information about service changes here.


-       Dentists aren’t working as normal at the moment, but you can still get help with your teeth if it’s an emergency. You should call your normal dentist and they will tell you what to do. More information can be found here in the Dentists section.





-       You can order your repeat prescriptions on the NHS App and through your GP surgery or pharmacy’s online service, where available. You can find more information here under the section on Primary Care. To help us to keep supplying medicines to everyone who needs them, please only order repeat prescriptions in your usual quantities at the usual time


-       If you need to collect a prescription and have coronavirus symptoms or are self-isolating at home – please arrange for a friend, relative or volunteer to collect for you. If you do not have any support you can contact the Community Response Hubs in either Derby or Derbyshire. The details can be found here in the section on Local Authority (scroll down to Community Response Hubs).


Routine vaccinations


-       It is important that you or your baby or child still have routine vaccinations. They protect against serious and potentially deadly illnesses and stop outbreaks in the community. Contact your GP to arrange this.


-       If the person needing vaccination has coronavirus symptoms or is self-isolating because someone in the household is displaying symptoms, please contact your GP practice for advice.


Pregnant Women


-       If you are pregnant it is important that you still attend your antenatal appointments and continue to seek advice from your midwife or maternity team.


-       If you are worried about your health or the health of your unborn baby, please contact your midwife or maternity team.


-       The information here in the Hospital Section will take you to useful information about how each hospital is responding to covid-19 including in relation to maternity services.


Mental Health


-       NHS is here to support your mental health during the coronavirus pandemic, as well as your physical health.


-       If you are concerned about the mental health of your child, please contact your GP or you can find useful resources here in the section on Mental Health. A particularly useful resource around emotional health and wellbeing can be found here.


·         If you are facing mental health issues contact your GP or key worker, if you have one, and continue to access your mental health services as usual, although some of these may now be online. There is a Mental Health Helpline available to all ages who require Mental Health Support details can be found here.


·         If you are facing a mental health crisis you can phone the Mental Health Helpline see above, or use the NHS 111 online service. If you cannot get help online, call 111.


Learning Disability and Autism

·         If you need medical help reasonable adjustments will be made so you get the right care and support.


·         People 16 and over can find advice and support information here. Support for children and young people can be found here.