What is transition?

·        Transition covers the period in time when a disabled child is approaching their 18th birthday and moving into Adult Services.

·        The Care Act (2014) places a duty on Local Councils to ‘Carry out assessments on children receiving care services who are approaching their 18th birthday ‘– known as a Child’s Needs Assessment (CAN) in transition.

Depending on the complexity of needs and services involved the child’s assessment can commence from when they are 14 years old.

·        Parent Carers are also entitled to have a Parent Carer Assessment even if their child does not receive any care and support services from their Local Council.

·        Derbyshire Carers Association can offer you Parent Carer support , information and Carers Assessment once your child is 17 years old or over - to access this please register with us via the website.


Click on link for Derbyshire County Council’s Local Area offer for more information about the transition process locally and support 


Click on the link for Derbyshire’s Local Offer for information on SEND services and support in the area


Please click on link for list of Parent Carer support organisations both in County and City area who may also be able to offer support



Click on link for grants for yourself as a Carer and your disabled child 






Supporting Unpaid Carers in Employment Webinar

How and why your organisation should support the unpaid carers in your employment.   Derbyshire...

Read more
Telephone Befriender's Wanted

Telephone Befriender   Make a difference today! Our Telephone Befriending service aims to provi...

Read more
Arts Derbyshire - A Necklace of Stars

Following on from the success of the first phase of A Necklace of Stars, we are looking for older ad...

Read more