Caring and my finances

Caring can have an impact on a Carers income and expenditure. This can include having to reduce hours at work, costs of transport and parking for treatments or having to be at home more resulting in an increase of fuel costs. There may be ways to increase your income, such as benefits for you or the person you care for, or support with living costs.



There may be benefit support for you and/or the person with care needs to help you live independently or support reduction of income. In Derbyshire, Welfare Rights have a free online calculator that you can complete to see what benefits you may be entitled to - Benefits Calculator or call  01629 531535 from 11am to 4pm on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday.

For a list of possible benefits, the eligibility and how to apply, please visit possible benefits


Cost of living support

Citizens Advice

If you are having issues with your energy supplier such as you are behind with your payments or struggling to make payments, Citizens Advice have a free helpline where they can discuss all issues connected to your energy. Call: 0808 223 1133

Marches Energy Agency

MEA provide free and impartial advice to help people living in Derbyshire keep warm and well at home. This includes information on energy bills and tariffs, insulation and heating grants and energy efficient measures. Call: 0800 677 1307

Energy Saving Trust

Energy Saving Trust have are an online resource site that gives practical tips on how to save energy and reduce bills at home. This can include draught proofing, reducing heat home loss and guides to smart meters.


Help with the costs of day to day activities

As a Carer, you may be entitled to discounts or free entry on a range of products, days out and short breaks. Please see factsheet for more information 


Help with Council Tax  

If you are on a low income or the person with care needs lives with certain conditions, you may be entitled to council tax reduction. You have to apply to your local council as one has their own eligibility. To find your local council please search here For more information on help with council tax, please see the Carers UK factsheet 


Managing someone else’s money

If the person you care for is unable to manage their own affairs, you may be responsible for their finances. Age UK Derbyshire and partners have designed a helpful top tips for if you are managing someone else’s finances find it here. 


Help towards the cost of care

If the person with care needs requires care at home from the local authority, such as help with personal care, there may be help towards these costs. Most people make some contribution towards these costs, but how much is paid is calculated from an assessment.


If the person with care needs has over a certain amount of savings or income, they may have to pay for all of the care they receive. The local authority will still help with an assessment and finding a care service through Adult Care brokerage. 


If the person with care needs has lower than the threshold for self-funding then they may have to contribute toward their care costs. This is called co-funding. The amount that is paid is calculated after an assessment. If the person isn’t in receipt of certain benefits, the council will help to apply to help towards these cost. Paying for non residential care

Residential care

Paying for residential care fees is calculated on the person’s income, savings and assets such as if they own their own home. For more information on residential care fees please visit. Paying for residential care

Continuing healthcare

Some people living with long-term complex health needs qualify for free social care which is arranged and funded solely by the NHS. This is known as NHS continuing healthcare.

NHS continuing healthcare is for adults. Children and young people may receive a "continuing care package" if they have needs arising from disability, accident or illness that cannot be met by existing universal or specialist services alone. The care can be provided in settings outside of the hospital including the person’s home or a care home. For more information, please visit: NHS continuing healthcare


Get the latest news and information for Carers – sign up to our newsletter

Newsletter Sign Up